Established in 1823, Barnett College was a college in Fairfield, New York. It was considered an Ivy League college. Indiana Jones was a professor of archaeology there for several years, starting in 1937. Jones' office was located in Hamilton Hall. Marcus Brody also worked at the college, in conjunction with his duties at the National Museum.
In 1934, Barnett College sent Jones a job offer. By 1935, Professor Jones was at least performing fieldwork on Barnett's behalf. He was affiliated with Marshall College from 1935 to 1937.
Teaching at Barnett in the fall of 1937, Professor Jones was assigned three freshman "Archaeology 101" sections by chairman Doctor Snedly, but transfered Jones's seminar "Origins of the Incas 201" to visiting professor Francisca Uribe Del Arco. Despite starting off on the wrong foot with Uribe, Jones and Uribe teamed up after attackers tried to steal a package from Uribe's brother. As the semester was starting, the pair were given a sabbatical to journey to South America to track down the Chimu Taya Arms.
After successfully retrieving the Cross of Coronado off of the coast of Portugal in 1938, Jones met with Marcus Brody at the college to discuss the National Museum's acquisition of the artifact. Jones then met with his secretary Irene and pushed his way through a room of eager students to seek sanctuary in his office. Climbing out the window to avoid the students, he was found by men who took him to New York City to meet Walter Donovan.
In 1939, Jones was at the college when he was approached by a gentleman who needed help with a mysterious artifact. After Jones had realized that it was an Horned Statue from Atlantis and opened it to reveal a bead of orichalcum, the stranger robbed Jones of the statue and escaped. Jones found a clue leading to Sophia Hapgood, and headed off to New York City to find her before the Nazis could. Jones and Hapgood later returned to the college to view a copy of Hermocrates to help them find their way to Atlantis via Monte Carlo and Algeria. After the discovery and destruction of Atlantis, Jones and Hapgood returned to Barnett College and watched a football game, where the winning interception made by Jerry Travis, had been predicted by Hapgood.
Faculty and students of Barnett CollegeEdit
Locations within Barnett CollegeEdit
- Archaeology Department Storerooms
- Caswell Hall
- Hamilton Hall
- Fancy Venue for the Annual Fall Faculty Fling
- Gymnasium with boxing ring
- Football Stadium
Behind the scenesEdit
Barnett College is introduced in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and also appears in the video game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (the events of which take place in 1939, one year after Last Crusade). It's unclear why Dr. Jones began teaching at Barnett College or why he moved back to Marshall College, which he returns to sometime prior to the events of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
While the College's location in Fairfield is first seen on the package containing the Grail diary, which is then shown to be in central New York on a map in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide places the college as much closer to New York City.
In LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures, Barnett College serves as a central hub. In the sequel, however, Marcus Brody's scenes during the story of Last Crusade seems to be taking place at Marshall instead of Barnett.
- Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx (Mentioned only)
- Indiana Jones Adventure World (Mentioned only)
- Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit
- Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (First appearance)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade comic
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis comic
- Indiana Jones und das Erbe von Avalon
- Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Non-canonical appearance)
- The World of Indiana Jones
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb: 1935 Journal
- The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
- Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis comic
- ↑ The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade comic does not name the school, but refers to it as an Ivy League college in Connecticut, though the in-movie sources indicate that it is actually in Fairfield, New York.
- ↑ The timeline in Indiana Jones: The Ultimate Guide has Jones starting at Barnett College in January 1938, but pages covering Jones' adventures with the Arms of Gold show Jones assigned classes for the Fall 1937 semester.
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb: 1935 Journal
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom junior novel
- ↑ Raiders of the Lost Ark
- ↑ The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones – "Double Play!"
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- ↑ Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull