Omar Al-Jabbar was an antiquarian in Algiers.
In 1939, while in search of the lost city of Atlantis, Indiana Jones and Sophia Hapgood tried to bargain with Omar Al-Jabbar in order to find where the Nazis dug in desert for ruins of an outpost of the mighty city.
Behind the scenesEdit
The role of Omar Al-Jabbar is significantly different between the comic and the game. Even in the game his role can vary greatly depending on the path the player takes.
In the comic, Omar Al-Jabbar is an underground character from Morocco allied with the Nazis for which he is despised by Berber Marksmen such as Habib Ouarzaza. As the nature of Moulay Idriss as a sacred place forbade foreigners from digging its ruins, Al-Jabbar was hired by the Germans to do the job. When Indy and Sophia learn about Atlantean relics they visit Morocco and they are attacked by Omar and Dr. Hans Ubermann from an air balloon but they retreat when Berbers arrive.
Indy and Sophia are befriended by Habib Ouarzaza who guides them to the German camp outside Moulay Idriss and causes the local diggers to flee. Omar, worried that after these failures Ubermann would want him dead, attempts to sneak into the doctor's tent with a thug to kill him, but they are both electrocuted by Ubermann's security system, as the man trusts nobody.
Afterwards, Ouarzaza helps the Jones and Hapgood to steal the balloon.
In the game, Omar Al-Jabbar's intentions and demeanor vary between which path the player takes mid-game.
- In the Team path, Omar directly deals with and helps Indy and Sophia, although his assistance in a form of a map and two camels is underwhelming as the camels die a mile out of town, leaving Indy and Sophia to have to find a new means of transportation. In that path, Indy can buy or trade useful items from Omar.
- In the Wits path, Indy must trick Omar's assistant Paul Abdul into leading him to Omar's home. Even there he will refuse to help Indy, forcing the archaeologist to lock Omar in a closet and steal his map and camel.
- In the Fists path, Indy must follow Paul Abdul to Omar's house, where it is revealed that Omar is being interrogated at gunpoint by Hörst, a Nazi soldier. Indy must then save Omar who will briefly talk with Indy then offhandedly offer Indy his map and camel while Omar runs to tell the authorities that Nazis are in town.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Arabic word jabbār, means "to use coercion, to force" something.
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis comic (First appearance)