"I not like him anyway!"―Mean Mongolian, after Otto is shot.[src]
Otto was a Nazi agent who, in 1936, accompanied Arnold Toht to Nepal to retrieve the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra. After recruiting some local goons, Otto and Toht went to The Raven in Patan to pay a visit to Marion Ravenwood.
When Arnold Ernst Toht assembled men to recover the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra from Nepal in 1936, Otto was the only other German agent. Together, the Nazis bought the loyalty of the Ratty Nepalese, Mean Mongolian and Giant Sherpa off the streets of Kathmandu. One of their recruits provided transport, and the group followed Indiana Jones to The Raven, a bar in Patan.
After Jones's return disrupted their attempt, the ensuing brawl that broke out prompted the German to shoot at him. While Jones was being throttled by the Giant Sherpa, Toht ordered Otto to shoot them both. Indy, with assistance from the sherpa, turned his own weapon on the Nazi and shot four rounds into Otto, dropping him permanently.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The role of Otto was played by Matthew Scurfield in Raiders of the Lost Ark and credited as Second Nazi. The character's name is given in the Raiders of the Lost Ark Sourcebook. This character is not to be confused with the character credited as Otto in Raiders of the Lost Ark, played by Christopher Frederick.
- In the novelization by Campbell Black, Otto is noted as having an eye patch. Also Indy and the Sherpa shoot him only once, in the throat.
- Otto never appears in LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures, instead he is replaced by the Sherpa Gunner, who is based off of him and the Giant Sherpa.
- In the comic, Toht insults Otto by calling him a schweinhund (pig-dog) in German.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark novel (First appearance)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Raiders of the Lost Ark comic
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark junior novel
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Sourcebook (First identified as "Otto")