Spetsnaz, or the Soviet Special Forces was a team of highly trained soldiers in the Armed Forces of the Soviet Union. They were considered the best of the Soviet Army because their training was so harsh.
In 1957, during the height of the Cold War, over twenty members of Soviet Special Forces under the command of Colonels Irina Spalko and Antonin Dovchenko infiltrated Hangar 51 in the American state of Nevada. They stole the remains of an unknown pilot who crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947.
The group later journeyed to Akator in South America while attempting to gain the ability to control American minds through psychic research. However, the group's number dwindled along the way and those that survived the trip were eventually eliminated by the power within the Temple of Akator.
Behind the scenesEdit
Many of the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls disguised Soviets share names with US presidents. In the film's "Making of" documentary, Spielberg posed with seventeen Soviet soldiers dressed as Americans (as well as several of the military police personnel who were killed during the Hangar 51 infiltration). In a closeup, the name tags of some of them are visible.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull novel
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues (Non-canonical appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Spielberg Talks Indy 4 , Transformers & Tintin ! at ComingSoon.net
- ↑ Production Diary: Making of "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", section "Shooting Begins - New Mexico"