A Trenchcoated European Spy boarded the airplane out of San Francisco in 1936, concealing his face behind an issue of Life magazine as he spied on Indiana Jones. He followed Jones for some time before presumably turning the remainder of his assignment over to Arnold Toht.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The role of the European spy was played by an uncredited Dennis Muren.
- Because the agent wears glasses and his face is only seen fleetingly, some have assumed he was meant to be Toht. However Muren has been quoted as saying he did not stand in for Ronald Lacey, and thus did not portray Toht. The identity of the "Toht lookalike" has yet to be established.
- Campbell Black's novelization of the film combines this agent and Toht into one character although in the novel he boards the plane in Shanghai, not San Francisco.
- From the cover art, the issue of "Life" magazine being read by this agent is the November 30, 1936 issue, the second issue of the magazine ever published. Various official timelines place the search for the Ark in April 1936 or late July 1936, making the agent's reading material an anachronism.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (First appearance)